Re: Level 1 Universe = Parallel Quantum Computer?

From: Perry E. Metzger (perry@piermont.com)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 16:23:37 MDT

Paul Hughes <psiphius@yahoo.com> writes:
> According to Tegmark, in an infinite level 1
> multiverse, there are 2 to the 10^120 possible states
> that are possible within a given hubble volume before
> it repeats. Since there are an infinite number of
> hubble volumes, then one or more of these volumes
> should exist with the MAXIMUM POSSIBLE INTELLIGENCE
> that can exist in a given light cone.

Reasonable...

> Would this not be equivalent to a quantum computer
> with 2 to the 10^120 qubits, whose program essentially
> is to answer the life, universe and everthing. Is
> this not equivalent to "Hithchikers Guide to the
> Galaxy", except in this case the Level 1 Universe is
> the computer, and whatever maximum intelligence is
> achieves, is the answer?

I have a bit of trouble with this in the sense that I think the notion
of the "answer to life, the universe, and everything" is so
underspecified as to be meaningless.

I will agree, though, that if the Level I universe is indeed infinite
and has reasonably uniform distribution of matter, that out there
somewhere is the maximum possible sized intelligent entity...

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com