RE: META: Singularity Action Group attempting to recruit SL4 members

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 19:19:48 MDT

Hi,

About SAG. I don't want to devote a lot of time to the topic, but I will
note that, in fact, I did accept a position on SAG's Board of Directors.
This means that I agreed to provide general & occasional oversight to the
SAG.

SAG is a young and still-forming organization -- it hasn't really achieved
anything yet, which isn't surprising given that it's just a few months old.

I don't like the term "crackpot" -- I think that the SAG is mostly a group
of "amateur scientists" who are Singularity boosters and want to work toward
the Singularity as a group rather than doing so as isolated individuals.

I think it's fine for there to be a host of different Singularity-focused
organizations. Let the fittest survive. Let them all survive and
prosper.....

Personally, nearly my time is reserved for my Novamente project and related
things, but I'm certainly willing to devote a *little* bit of my time to
helping out any group that's genuinely interested in working toward the
Singularity. I'm also loosely involved with John Smart's "Institute for
Accelerating Change", for example. When there are so many Singularity
groups out there that I can't pay attention to them all -- well, that will
be a pretty funky time to be living in ;)

I certainly don't want to see SAG pick on SL4, SL4 pick on SAG, blah blah
blah. This kind of "sectarianism" isn't really to anyone's benefit.

Yours,
Ben Goertzel