RE: Singularity Institute - update

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 13:38:14 MDT

> In any case, I suspect Eliezer has already considered and discarded
> the approach of funding his research through a company that makes
> sellable products. It's not an easy road. I'm sure Ben could tell us
> all about the challenges of balancing what customers want right now
> with your own long term goals for the technology.
>
> cheers,
> mez

yeah, it's hard. Basically you have to separate the business-tech goals
from the R&D goals, and it takes a lot of thought and integrity to do this
separation in a quality way, given the real interpretration of the two.

Right now, our startup Biomind LLC (www.biomind.com) is paying for some
Novamente development, but when it occurs that the best approach for
building Biomind stuff inside Novamente is NOT necessarily on the most
direct path to AGI, there is a fiduciary responsibility to do it the way
that's best for Biomind.

Fortunately, there are a few people working just on AGI-oriented Novamente
stuff too (OK, only one is full-time, and she helps out with Biomind
sometimes).

Definitely, it would be simpler if we were amply funded for pure AGI work.
On the other hand, the bio applications of Novamente are cool, with
significant intellectual and humanitarian value, and they are also pushing
toward the Singularity, by helping us understand the genomic and proteomic
foundations of humans and life in general.

The hope is that in a few years Biomind will be successful enough to sponsor
a LOT of Novamente R&D because of its potential to enhance Biomind's product
line.

-- Ben G