SOAPBOX: Funding for SIAI

From: Mike Williams (mikew12345@lvcm.com)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 00:46:34 MDT

<SOAPBOX>

Since the message traffic is slow today, I'll take this opportunity to
interject. There's an old saying: "If you're so smart, why ain't you
rich?"

>From reading the SL4 message traffic, it's obvious that there are some
pretty darned smart people in this membership. Much smarter than me, I'll
freely admit. I can't help but think that if this group chose to focus its
attention on the problem of SIAI funding, that it could come up with a
solution, so that Eliezer could stay focused on his work (and perhaps go so
far as to fund the projected personnel additions). Without knowing how much
the members here are already involved in the singularity effort, I realize I
may be completely out of line by making such a suggestion. And maybe
there's another forum where that problem is already being addressed that I'm
not aware of. But if not, it seems that it'd be nice if we could help out,
instead of just waiting for Eliezer to make the singularity a reality by
himself. Any suggestions?
Mike W.

</SOAPBOX>