The edge of Chaos

From: Simon Gordon (sim_dizzy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 11:11:41 MDT

This is a reminder that the most interesting systems
exist on the very fine line between Chaos and Order,
this includes intelligent systems.

When trying to design and develop artificial
intelligent systems we should always check the orderly
behaviour of the system versus its chaotic behaviour.
If the system displays chaotic behaviour then we need
to adjust it to perform more orderly and if the system
displays orderly behaviour then we need to adjust it
again to perform more chaotically. We need to keep
iterating this process (with progressively finer
increments) until we arrive at the "edge".

Think liquid crystals.

Simon.

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience