RE: Hardware Progress: $212/GFlop/s

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 20:14:38 MDT

> I would be interested in your opinion of this approach for generating
> constrained knowledge domains. Would the path to a super AI then be via
> some form of metaontology that could automagically integrate the various
> domains?

I am afraid the Semantic Web is doomed to struggle along miserably until a
sufficiently clever AI comes along, that is capable of doing the semantic
markup of Web documents and databases with minimal human guidance. Until
then, it seems it is just an impractical amount of work for people to go
thru all the info on the Web (or even a substantial fraction) and mark it up
semantic-web style.... This is why in spite of a lot of talk the Semantic
Web remains basically a daydream...

-- Ben Goertzel