Re: SIAI's flawed friendliness analysis

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 18:24:19 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> However, Bill is correct that Eliezer's plans do not give much detail on the
> crucial early stages of AI-moral-instruction. Without more explicit detail
> in this regard, one is left relying on the FAI programmer/teacher's
> judgment, and Bill's point is that he doesn't have that much faith in
> anyone's personal judgment, so he would rather see a much more explicit
> moral-education programme spelled out.
>
> I'm not sure Eliezer would disagree with this, even though he has not found
> time to provide such a thing yet.

You are correct. It is indeed a very serious difficulty to figure out how
to explain
  (a) volitionist altruism
  (b) humane renormalization
  (c) Friendliness structure
to a mind that understands only
  (a) billiard balls
  (b) other minds that understand billiard balls.

But the strange thing is, by golly, I think it can be done.