Re: Security overkill

From: Philip Sutton (Philip.Sutton@green-innovations.asn.au)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 06:22:20 MDT

Eliezer said:
> That's the problem with outsiders making up security precautions for
> the project to take; at least one of them will, accidentally, end up
> ruling out successful Friendliness development.

I don't see a problem with outsiders making up precautions or proposed
solutions to help achieve the creation of safe AGIs. Making up is one
thing and unilaterally imposing is another.

I think we should encourage lots of outsiders to make up what they
think are good solutions - as input to the solution/safety design process.
But the insiders need to be actively and deeply involved as well.

Maybe the insiders and outsiders need to jointly design what will be the
implemented safety system.

The hardest question is who should finally get to decide what is an
adequate safety system.

Cheers, Philip