Re: No need to rush AGI development?

From: Philip Sutton (Philip.Sutton@green-innovations.asn.au)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 07:03:43 MDT

Samantha said:
> b) At the current pace of change unaugmented human beings or any
> conceivable arrangement of such even with the aid of non-AI computers
> are increasingly unable to make wise and effective decisions. A
> dangerously capricious world results. It can only be remedied by AI
> and, to a probable lesser extent, by augmented and mind-linked
> humans. In short, we are not bright enough to long survive unaided.

Humans are certainly bright enough - with adequate education - it's
what we apply our cleverness to or fail to apply it to that causes most of
the problems. This syndrome might only be made worse if we produce
super-clever AGIs but fail to develop adequate AGI morality and
adequate AGI education.

AGIs are not the solution to *this* problem they are just an extension of
the existing problem.

Cheers, Philip