Re: Security overkill

From: Cliff Stabbert (cstabbert@the-beach.net)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 12:46:49 MDT

Hi, you wrote:

GM> Eliezer said:

ESY> That's the problem with outsiders making up security precautions
ESY> for the project to take; at least one of them will, accidentally,
ESY> end up ruling out successful Friendliness development.

GM> Ahhh, but there is the rub... Who are the outsiders and who are the
GM> insiders.

The insiders are those with the skills and ability to program FAI and
who are directly involved in its creation.

There are no secret handshakes. It is open to anybody, although very
few are qualified. To stay with your biblical language, many are
called, but few are chosen. They are not chosen by some secret elite
committee -- they are "chosen" by their actual ability to deliver; the
proof is in the pudding.

In other words, the "insiders" are ultimately self-selected. So are
the "outsiders", if we define that group as those people who want to
impose their will -- through regulations, oversight, etc. -- on the
creation of FAI from the outside.

--
Cliff