RE: SIAI's flawed friendliness analysis

From: Gary Miller (garymiller@starband.net)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 07:33:43 MDT

>>I wonder why it is that government funding has
>>been so much more effective in biomedical areas than in AI.

Government research grants typically require the principles performing
the research to be heavily degreed. A successful track record for at
least some of the research team on prior grants is important. This is
why independent researchers do well to team with universities that have
received DARPA sponsorship in the past.

They also lean towards very narrow areas of research where research
methodology has been successful in similar problems. The research
grants must be specific enough to survive an informal peer review. Most
projects sponsors will ask their favorite past researchers in the field
for at least informal approval on most of the grant applications.
Grants should be able to spell out what quantifiable benefits could be
achieved for the taxpayers, DOD, or mankind if the research was
successful.

It also does not hurt to get at least one congressman on your side to
help start the good old boy network rolling. If it's a large project
and will create jobs in your state he may push harder to look good to
his constituents. Aka PorkBarrel...