Re: Failure of AI so far

From: Samantha (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 23:10:56 MDT

On Thursday 22 May 2003 04:56 pm, Gary Miller wrote:

> I keep hearing people say just because the systems will be faster
> that this
> will have a major impact on making making FAI occur faster.
>
> My intuition tell me this is not correct, since when I double the
> power of my
> CPU I am lucky if my productivity increases by more than 6 or 7
> percent and I
> Am using my machine for AI research also!

I think the point is that the more powerful hardware would make the
AI implemented on that hardware more powerful not that it would make
the AI research team proportionally more productive. Human
productivity is limited by the speed of human minds plus useful tools
well geared (more or less) to those minds. The tools can get better
with better hardware but the limit is still the limit of the human
mind.

- samantha