RE: Failure of AI so far

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 13:46:06 MDT

> Stephen in your opinion, what percent faster would your workers be able
> to complete their jobs if their systems were 10 times faster?

I'll answer this for my own work (Novamente).

It depends upon the task. Some tasks are really parameter-tuning and
computational-experimenting -heavy, and a 10x speedup in machine power would
speed up progress by 9x or so. Other tasks are thinking-heavy and a 10x
speedup in machine power wouldn't really do anything. Some are inbetween.

All in all, I'd guesstimate that 10x faster machines might speed up our
overall progress by a factor of 2 ... which is not inconsiderable..

Ben Goertzel