Re: SIAI's flawed friendliness analysis

From: Mark Waser (mwaser@cox.net)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 18:44:27 MDT

Wow, Eliezer. I hope that you're just having a bad day and that this isn't
your new public relations policy. Factually, you're mostly correct but the
attitude and condescension are way over the top and you don't seem to be
making any effort to understand what others are saying or to help them
along.

If you want a good example of a regulation that might work, try something
that sets up an advisory board of the right people (you can even include
yourself on it)that constantly reviews all certified projects, evaluates
their current risks, and takes appropriate action.

I don't have any faith in a small INBRED group of people going off and
trying to whip something together without any mistakes when any mistake
could be fatal in the biggest way possible. I want as many eyes as possible
on the project. Yes, the more people who see it, the better the possibility
that people might steal the ideas and try to go for an illegal AI but I
believe that the probability of success of such is much less than the
probability of a big problem if you don't get as many eyes as possible on
the original project.

An even better idea would be to work out an ethics system before you work on
the AI system. My belief is that an ethics system should actually follow
straight from your "rationality" project - - speaking of which, how is that
going?

        Mark