RE: SIAI's flawed friendliness analysis

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 19:49:42 MDT

> >> Volition is a component of "deep, real human happiness" but I
> don't think
> >> it's the only component.
> >>
> >> One could construct extreme cases of human minds that were strongly
> >> self-determined yet were morally and aesthetically repugnant to all of
> >> us...
> >
> > That's not the question, though; the question is whether we, or a
> > Friendly AI, should interfere with such a mind.

A nontrivial moral question, right?

As a parent, I would interfere with my child's self-determination if they
were going to do something sufficiently destructive. I'd also try to change
them so that they no longer *wanted* to do the destructive thing.

Because we have values for our kids that go beyond the value of
volition/self-determination...

But we presumably don't want a Friendly AI to take on this kind of parental
role to humans -- because it's simply too dangerous??

-- Ben G