Fw call for papers: 1st Global Conference Artificial Intelligence]

From: Damien Broderick (damienb@unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 00:18:42 MDT

Someone here might care:

1st Global Conference Artificial Intelligence: Exploring Critical
Issues

20th to 22nd October 2003, Vienna, Austria

Call for Papers

This inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary conference seeks to
bring
together those concerned with the practical, philosophical, ethical
and
aesthetic questions raised by A.I. In particular, the conference
seeks to
explore the relationship between humanity and A.I. through theory,
applied
research, social science and the fictional worlds of cinema and
literature.

Papers, reports, presentations, and workshops are invited on any of
the
following key themes:

* A.I. - master, servant, friend or enemy?

* A.I. as 'the other'

* A.I. - science or technology - does it matter?

* A.I. as evolution of the mind/brain

* A.I. as marking the end of the human?

* A.I., the risk society and the accident

* Visions of the future and the role of A.I.

* Human and A.I. free will

* A.I. and the brain sciences

* A.I. and the practice of everyday life

* A.I. and Virtual War: a revolution in military affairs?

* Visions of A.I. - cultural and cross cultural identities

* A.I., humanity and the application of violence

* A.I. as a gendered identity?

* The aesthetics of A.I. - replicating the human and the animal

* Artificial intelligence and artificial emotion?

* The embodiment of A.I. - robot, cyborg or database?

* Crossing boundaries: what makes us human, what makes A.I.
artificial?

* Defining intelligence from the Turing Test to Bladerunner's
Voigt-Kampff.

* Cyberpunk and the re-imagining of A.I.

* Shifting identities: portrayals of A.I. in film and literature

* The A.I. 'creation' - victim, hero or villain?

* A.I. as consciousness

* A.I. and Orientalism; is the future Asian?

* A.I. as a failed research programme?

Papers will be considered on related themes. 300 word abstracts
should be
submitted by Friday 27th June 2003. Full draft papers should be
submitted
by Friday 19th September 2003. 300 word abstracts should be submitted
both the Organising Joint Chairs; abstracts may be in Word,
WordPerfect,
PDF or RTF formats.

Christopher Macallister
Department of Politics and IR, University of Kent at Canterbury
Canterbury
United Kingdom
Email:cjm23@ukc.ac.uk
Dr Rob Fisher
Inter-Disciplinary.Net
Priory House
149B Wroslyn Road
Freeland, Oxfordshire OX29 8HR
Email: rf@inter-disciplinary.net

The conference is part of the 'Critical Issues' programme of research
projects. It aims to bring together people from different areas and
interests to share ideas and explore various discussions which are
innovative and exciting. All papers accepted for and presented at this
conference will be published in an ISBN eBook. Selected papers will
be
developed for publication in a themed hard copy volume. The project
is also
to be supported by an e-mail discussion group and ISSN e-journal. For
further details and information please go to

http://www.inter-disciplinary.net/ai/ai03cfp.htm