Re: Clay Shirky on group dynamics

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@mac.com)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 19:12:27 MDT

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 08:01 PM, SMcClenahan@comcast.net wrote:

> So by my definition, who are the leaders of this SL4 online community?
> Those
> with the most posts so far, I would say. Speaking for myself, when
> Eliezer or
> Ben post, I read it. They are my SL4 leaders. There are others whose
> postings I
> respect too, but they're relatively post less frequently for me to
> consider
> them as SL4 leaders.

But this is assuming quantity over quality. There are some people who
rarely (or never) post to this list who I consider important people in
the SL4 community because of the quality of the things they say. I
could post things that are just barely SL4-relevant every day, but that
wouldn't really make me a leader, it would just make me annoying.

The real trick is to make high quality posts often. Barring that, I
prefer good posts to lots of posts.

(I realize this is just your opinion of how to judge who the leaders
are, but I disagree with quantity as a metric enough to respond. Don't
take it personally; make your decisions however you want.)

   Gordon Worley <redbird@mac.com>
SIAI Volunteer: http://www.intelligence.org/
            PGP: 0xBBD3B003