RE: [Fwd: [>Htech] Artificial Development to Build World's Biggest Spiking Neural Network]

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 18:12:28 MDT

Hi Marcos,

Sorry if my comments seemed too skeptical and not understanding enough of
the nature of your enterprise. I get that way sometimes, especially when my
obsession with AI leads me to cut my sleeping hours too short ;-)

I certainly agree that having a large-scale distributed platform for neural
computing will be a very good thing. And I'm glad you agree that, to get
real value out of this network for AI (or for theoretical neuroscience, for
that matter), a lot of hard thinking will need to be done regarding the
specific design of the neural network being run on this exciting new
platform.

I agree that neuroscience, in itself, does not currently provide enough
guidance to create a highly intelligent, large-scale neural net. What it
provides is general guidance, and the rest of the architecture of your NN
will have to be figured out through intuitive combination of information
from neuroscience, psychology, computer science, with a healthy dose of pure
guesswork.

If you ever feel interested in doing some collaborative thinking on how to
structure your mega neural network in a useful way, I'm sure that both Peter
Voss and I would be very willing to toss around some ideas together with
your team. While we don't have hardware infrastructures on the scale of
yours, we've been thinking about how to structure quasi-neural computing
systems for quite some time (although my own AI design Novamente, isn't
really all that quasi-neural anymore, it did start out that way).

-- Ben G