Re: Friendliness and blank-slate goal bootstrap

From: Aaron McBride (themcbrides@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 23:39:20 MDT

Metaqualia wrote:
<clip>

>Does anyone else have an opinion?

Ok. I've been watching this thread, and it's failing to resolve for me.
I keep hearing this word "qualia", but I don't think it can possibly
mean the same thing to me as it does to you. You say:

><clip>But remember, I have qualia, and the AI probably won't (at least in the beginning), <clip>

What is it this thing that you are talking about that you think you have
and that the AI wouldn't have?
The only way that qualia makes sense to me is as a generalization of
experience. Do you mean that AI won't have experiences, or that it won't
be able to generalize on them, or do you mean something totally different?

You said in your first email that "humans have what they call qualia,
they do not know what they are but they know that they should arise in a
sufficiently complex system" (sorry if I'm quoting out of context). Are
you saying that you don't even know what qualia are? If so, why spend so
much time talking about them? How do you even know if you have them?

-Aaron