Re: Friendliness and blank-slate goal bootstrap

From: Lawrence Foard (entropy@farviolet.com)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 11:18:18 MDT

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Metaqualia wrote:

> > Consider modifying this to: "minimize undesirable pain qualia in all
> > sentient beings"
> > A hard physical workout often involves some pain, as does certain other
> > activities (S&M)...
>
> Interesting observation. After there are no more dictators, no more
> starving, sick, depressed, aching people, then we should sit down and think
> about what to do with "voluntary sufferers". :)

One answer is that pain and suffering are not the same thing. In general
I'd say your degree of suffering is determined by the strength of your
desire to be somewhere else.

For this reason I'll say boredom involves more suffering than being
voluntarily paddled. People being paddled rarely ask the top to stop,
yet those experiencing boredom will take any opportunity that comes
along to escape boredom.

--
     Be a counter terrorist perpetrate random senseless acts of kindness
    Rave: Immanentization of the Eschaton in a Temporary Autonomous Zone.