RE: Pattern recognition and qualia

From: Mike Williams (mikew12345@cox.net)
Date: Mon Oct 06 2003 - 23:23:29 MDT

Communication is easier when there is a common core of experience and
the conversation is understood to be within that common framework.
Relating this to the question of whether an AI must have qualia to
understand human pain, I think if the AI were to have qualia, it would
provide that common core of experience that would allow it to understand
humans better.
Mike