Re: Pattern recognition

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 09:16:58 MDT

Cyc has three separate vocabularies for representing color, addressing the
issues raised by Ferrer i Concho and Sol. At one extreme is the concise
notions of ChristmasColors and HalloweenColors color schemes that utilize
fuzzy sets RedColor/GreenColor and OrangeColor/BlackColor. On the
other extreme is the RGB color vocabulary that defines a color in
terms of its measurements of Red, Green and Blue light.

In a dialog with Cyc, users would prefer to use the fewest words in a
compositional form (e.g. "green as grass", rather than the hypothetical
GreenAsGrassColor).

Cyc uses compositional notation -
(ColorPerceptionCategoryRangeFn YellowColor RedColor) denotes the range
of colors between (and including) yellow and red - because you simply
cannot have a word predefined for all possible concepts.

-Steve

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:46:07PM -0400, EvolverTCB@aol.com wrote:
> > http://www.nature.com/nsu/030929/030929-6.html
>
> Wrong; http://www.nature.com/nsu/030120/030120-3.html
>
> > A language that conveyed all information unambiguously, say Ferrer
> > i Cancho and Sol?, would have a separate word for every thing,
> > concept or action it referred to. Such a language would be
> > formidably complicated for the speaker: the green of grass, for
> > example, would be represented by a totally different word to the
> > green of sea, an emerald or an oak leaf.
>
> That is so mind-numbingly asinine I feel no need to read the rest.
>
> -Robin

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  reed@cyc.com
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org