Re: Pattern recognition

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 12:09:29 MDT

On 7 Oct 2003, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Stephen Reed <reed@cyc.com> writes:
> > Cyc has three separate vocabularies for representing color, addressing the
> > issues raised by Ferrer i Concho and Sol. At one extreme is the concise
> > notions of ChristmasColors and HalloweenColors color schemes that utilize
> > fuzzy sets RedColor/GreenColor and OrangeColor/BlackColor. On the
> > other extreme is the RGB color vocabulary that defines a color in
> > terms of its measurements of Red, Green and Blue light.
>
> For most colors perceived by humans, there are two ways to generate
> the perceived color -- either by the use of varying intensities of
> red, green and blue light, or by using a single light of some given
> frequency. Thus, Cyc does not unambiguously describe colors even given
> what you are describing. :)

I do not understand your point. Is the color phenomenon ambiguous simply
because there are two methods of generation? Or if that is not the case
then I say that one of Cyc's RGB color representations is unambiguous
given its vocabulary for stating the intensity of the red, green, and
blue light that make up the perceived color.

-Steve

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  reed@cyc.com
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org