RE: Friendliness and blank-slate goal bootstrap

From: Rafal Smigrodzki (rafal@smigrodzki.org)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 11:04:02 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> Regarding math, I agree with your comments; of course math is not
> intrinsically about the physical world.

### If we agree that the qualia experienced by a mathematician while engaged
in mathematical reasoning (the epiphanies, theorems, mind-numbness, imagery,
numbers, confusion, clarity, and beauty) are all that we know about math (or
even, they *are* math), and such qualia are due to the actions of neurons,
which formed in evolution to deal with survival in the physical world, then
math (as we know it) would have a very intrinsic relation to the physical
world. In this way, math becomes just a property of the world - but then
perhaps, one could say that the world is nothing but math, a bit more
difficult than the math that fits into our minds, but still only math.

Rafal