Re: Neural/Digital convergence: dynamic memory and bucket brigades

From: Mitchell Porter (mitchtemporarily@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 03:59:49 MDT

>When I went back and looked up some neuroscience papers on column and
>chain structures in the brain, I noticed that there are a lot of
>structures that look very similar to that whole family of analog buffer
>circuits, and in the places I would normally expect to find these kinds
>of buffering structures computationally.

See *The Cerebral Code* by William Calvin. In his theory, the cortex is
an arena for memetic population dynamics, basically, with a meme being
encoded in a neighborhood of cortical columnar cells. The activations
of these neighborhood patterns get copied, there are conflict resolution
methods for collisions between incompatible pattern populations
(analogous to open reading frames in the genome), he proposes a lot
of mechanisms and between them they are certainly capable of
implementing buffers. My only doubts have to do with the extent of
speculation - does he really know that all those cortical microcircuits
do in fact compute the functions he describes? According to his bio,
he's done lots of single-cell recording, but I see nothing about empirical
computational neuroscience. Anyway, give it a look if you haven't seen it.