Re: Edge.org: Jaron Lanier

From: James Rogers (jamesr@best.com)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 00:49:57 MST

On 11/25/03 9:46 PM, "Aaron McBride" <themcbrides@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Here is a new article (and video) by Jaron Lanier:
> http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/lanier03/lanier_index.html
>
> "I've had a suspicion for a while that despite the astonishing success
> of the first generation of computer scientists like Shannon, Turing, von
> Neumann, and Wiener, somehow they didn't get a few important starting
> points quite right, and some things in the foundations of computer
> science are fundamentally askew."

I have asserted for many years that Shannon ruined computing as we know it
from a theoretical standpoint. By the time the mathematics was properly
addressed a few decades later, the inertia of Shannon's pervasive influence
was essentially unstoppable and fully ingrained in the way people think
about computing.

An interesting accident of history.

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com