Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Mitchell Porter (mitchtemporarily@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 05:38:54 MST

Robin:

> > I don't think we have the luxury of assuming that "Friendly AI
> > before strong nanotech" is very likely.
>
>I went to great lengths to make it clear that I don't think it's
>very likely at all. That's why it needs working towards.

If it motivates you... But I don't think it will happen, and
I also don't think it spells doom. Basically, in my view the
sequence of developments will be dumb grey goo, AI,
smart grey goo. Dumb goo just replicates blindly. Smart
goo is like Vinge's Blight. Dumb goo comes before AI
because it's simpler. AI comes before smart goo because
AI on a stable platform is easier. Humans have a chance
against dumb goo; they don't, against sufficiently smart
goo; but there'll be an opening for Friendly AI in between.

>Ah. Do you have other terminology to offer in its place?
>
>"non-self-replicating nanotech" is a bit of a mothful. 8)

You could use Neal Stephenson's terms: Feed and Seed.

Get less junk mail with ninemsn Premium. Click here