Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Lawrence Foard (entropy@farviolet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 13:34:31 MST

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

[...]

> So what sort of strategies does evolution favor? Quite a number of
> them, actually, but none of them can be characterized as "pacifist".

Not pacifist, but also not unreasoningly or overly aggressive. Aggression
tends to bring self defense, making unnecessary aggression an evolutionary
disadvantage. You will often see that predators have evolved strategies to
avoid actual aggression, instead resolving disputes with a proxy aggression
to assert dominance and territory.

However I will agree that I think its unlikely to see a total paradise
free from all aggression. Our best hope may be that aggression will rarely
escalate to true violence. Societies that tend to escalate aggression will
tend to be rapidly wiped out in acts of self defense. The stakes will be
very high, anti matter weapons, astroids, and all sorts of stuff we can't
start to imagine. Hopefully beings will be more rational, and more suited
for a universe where aggression brings terrible results. Sadly current
humans are still largely wired for a world where aggression brings a few
bruises rather than death or massive carnage. We fight way to easily for
our own good.

--
 Laughter-Confusion, Pleasure-Pain, Happyness-Sadness, Excitement-Fear,
 Love-Hate, etc. The true primary emotions, a modifier makes each into two.