Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Lawrence Foard (entropy@farviolet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 14:14:13 MST

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> "Ben Goertzel" <ben@goertzel.org> writes:
> > I don't think there is a correlation between high IQ and psychological
> > problems.
>
> There most certainly is -- people with high IQs tend to have serious
> social problems. That's not to say I would prefer to be dumber, of
> course.

Otherwise known as autistic spectrum. Supposedly an epidemic, in other
words the idiots in child psychology are finally noticing that nerds
often share certain characteristics. If you have enough of these
characteristics you now qualify for a diagnosis and brain washing
(ABA therapy). The child psychology idiots moved the goal post
substantially and then started bleating about an epidemic. Try to find
a really good scientist or engineer that doesn't have a good helping of
autistic traits.

For a bizarre but interesting theory view:
http://www.farviolet.com/~entropy/neanderthal

Its still far from complete, and needs some more cross referencing and
organization, I'm only a little way into the literature. Much of which is
a pile of psychobabble rubbish, and drug company funded speculation about
which expensive dangerous drugs created for schizophrenia will best make
autistic children (future engineers, scientists and musicians) sit
through a school day passively. But I've tried to pick out the stuff
which is applicable to biology. I'm collecting a large amount of data on
genetics which needs to be worked on more and isn't attached to that page
yet.

--
 Laughter-Confusion, Pleasure-Pain, Happyness-Sadness, Excitement-Fear,
 Love-Hate, etc. The true primary emotions, a modifier makes each into two.