Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 00:05:11 MST

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 01:46:42 -0500
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:

> By the way, I don't see any experiment that would tell us that it is
> wrong to torture you (yes, you!) in order to turn your liver into
> tasty meat, either. As it happens, I wouldn't do it because my
> personal behavior code doesn't go for that sort of thing -- but I
> can't see any objective way to determine that it is wrong.

Please supply the following:

a) what you understand morality or ethics is and what it is based on;

b) what you consider "objective" to mean in context of (a).

If it is only a matter of taste, so to speak, whether it is ok to not only murder fellow sentients but torture them so one can get more pleasure out of eating them, then truly we would be in a dark world where only might makes right and everything else is mere subjective preference.

- s