Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Lawrence Foard (entropy@farviolet.com)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 00:17:00 MST

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Tommy McCabe <rocketjet314@yahoo.com> writes:
> > For the ten thousandth time, Darwinian evolution and
> > its associated complex functional adaptations do not
> > apply to transhumans.
>
> Yes, and capitalist economics will not apply after the revolution,
> comrade. We will build the new communist man, and he will be free of
> these base drives you speak of. The very notion of supply and demand
> driven economics is a product of the class logic of the bourgeoisie,
> and with the end of the bourgeoisie and the triumph of the proletariat
> we will have a new, proletarian economics based on need rather than on
> base greeds.

While I'm certain that evolution is here to stay, don't forget that the
scale at which it operates can change. The cells that make up our bodies
cooperate with each other. When a cell starts living by capitalist rules,
it starts rapidly dividing, consuming lots of resources, and eventually
kills itself along with all the other cells. Cancer, a minature version of
the tragedy of the commons. There is no rule that all systems of organisms
must be internally competitive.

Imagine a society of designer organisms where the experience of pleasure
was based on giving gifts, the amount of pleasure experienced being
proportional to the benefit that arises from the gift. If a gap in the
society needed to be filled, it would be filled because organisms would
experience great altruistic pleasure by filling it.

--
 Laughter-Confusion, Pleasure-Pain, Happyness-Sadness, Excitement-Fear,
 Love-Hate, etc. The true primary emotions, a modifier makes each into two.