Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Randall Randall (randall@randallsquared.com)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 07:33:34 MST

On Saturday, January 3, 2004, at 08:24 AM, Tommy McCabe wrote:
> --- "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:
>> Yes, and capitalist economics will not apply after
>> the revolution,
>> comrade. We will build the new communist man, and he
>> will be free of
>> these base drives you speak of. The very notion of
>> supply and demand
>> driven economics is a product of the class logic of
>> the bourgeoisie,
>> and with the end of the bourgeoisie and the triumph
>> of the proletariat
>> we will have a new, proletarian economics based on
>> need rather than on
>> base greeds.
>
> Very funny. These 'base drives' don't pop up out of
> nowhere; they are complex functional adaptations
> instilled in humans by Darwinian evolution.

No, it's deeper than that. Markets driven by self-interest
are the only proven method (so far) of coping with the
simultaneous, mutually exclusive needs of a large population
for goods distribution.

Even a population made up of exclusively altruistic individuals
would require those individuals to pretend self-interest in
order to find an optimal solution to goods distribution, no?

--
Randall Randall
randall@randallsquared.com