Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Tommy McCabe (rocketjet314@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 11:29:40 MST

--- Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com>
wrote:

> On Saturday, January 3, 2004, at 11:53 AM, Tommy
> McCabe wrote:
> >
> > Read CFAI 2.2.2. All the dominance of capitalist
> > economies proves is that humans have
> observer-centered
> > divergent goal systems (something we knew anyway),
> not
> > that other economic models will never work for
> minds-in-general.
>
> Entities that have "observer-centered divergent goal
> systems"
> are simply individuals. If there is a group of
> minds that
> are not individuals separately, then the group
> itself makes
> up the individual. If there is no individual at
> all, then
> I question the application of the word "mind",
> preferring to
> substitute "processor" or something.
>
> Any interaction between individuals will be an
> economic one,
> and so far, markets seem to be the optimal economic
> mode of
> interaction.
>
> It may be that you're suggesting that there will
> only be
> one individual after the advent of SI. I hope not,
> but
> we'll see.

I am suggesting that the human trait of selfishness
(ie, goal systems that center around 'I'), which makes
capitalism necessary, or at least, vastly preferable,
to any society whose individuals have differing goals,
is not intristic to minds-in-general, and therefore
capitalism is not required for minds-in-general.