Re: Hardware Progess: $165/Gflop

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 19:38:06 MST

The point of my periodic hardware cost posts
is not the specific configuration I think is
best for AI problems. Rather it is monitoring
the trend in processing cost so one can estimate
economic crossover and singularity timing.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know the right
mix of processor, ram, hard drive, and networking.
I've specified a certain mix of them so I can
track cost trends.

A specialized chip optimized for a certain
operation, such as DSP and graphics cards perform,
may turn out to be optimal once we know how to
build a workable AI. Until that time I feel tracking
a generic cheap supercomputer will be useful in
predicting a timeframe for the events of interest.

Daniel