Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Metaqualia (metaqualia@mynichi.com)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 11:18:33 MST

> If morality is subjective, then the morality which
> says the Holocaust was the greatest thing in the world
> is every bit as good as the morality which condemns
> it.

Which shows that a subjective morality is as useful as a hole in a cup.

> Sadly, no objective morality exists, so it
> isn't possible to
> program the "Friendly" AI to be perfect in its
> "Friendliness".

I found an objective morality. I have proposed it many times.

If it didn't feel like anything to be inside a gas chamber, it wouldn't be
immoral to gas people. If greeting somebody caused excruciating
psychological pain, then saying hello would be immoral.

so:

What creates negative qualia in sentient beings is evil.
What creates positive qualia in sentient beings is good.

Let alone whether we should convert the whole universe into orgasmium (which
may sound repulsive to some... that's _before_ trying it of course) - if one
agrees to the above it seems fair and conservative to tell an AI to minimize
evil defined as negative qualia.

mq