RE: c * (positive qualia -negative qualia) + (1-c)* (total complexity of pattern)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 14:28:41 MST

I agree it's probably true that "more complex brains experience more
intense/bigger qualia"

However, making statements like this rigorous is gonna be mighty tough, as
qualia and brains reside in different "orders of being", so to speak...
(I've posted on this notion before.)

And let's compare

a) Curzio permanently hooked up to the Orgasmotron machine
b) Curzio in his current configuration and environment

Which Curzio has bigger/more-intense qualia? No doubt Curzio_a is less
complex, in terms of enacted brain-complexity (if not "potential
complexity", i.e. he might return to something resembling his old self if
the Orgasmotron were shut off and hidden from him).

I agree this is the right direction in which to think, if one seeks a real
advance in moral thought beyond the classical approaches. But there's a
loooooooong way to go, as I guess we all know...

-- Ben