Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 02:06:37 MST

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 01:23:33 -0500
Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com> wrote:

> Right, but the monetary system works for both kinds of
> entity, so why not use it? To use a non-monetary system,
> it seems you'd have to make selfishness nonexistent, but
> to use a monetary system, you don't have to make altruism
> nonexistent. Money is more general.

In the realm of software I have spend 21 years in the money making way of doing things. I conclude that while this way of producing and disseminating software is sometimes useful and does increase financial well-being, it is not the best way to produce really good software or have it have maximal input on human abilities and well-being. There are various models that almost work and some number of hybrids that look at least somewhat promising. But proprietary software is imho in trouble.

> > the available pleasure is always equal to
> > the need. Again I'm talking about a society of engineered beings,
> > I don't think human brain wiring is up to this as it stands. If
> > you have too many selfish beings the system collapses.
>
> I agree with this last.

That really depends on how you define "selfish". But I probably don't want to go there.

-s