RE: c * (positive qualia -negative qualia) + (1-c)* (total complexity of pattern)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 06:30:24 MST

This begs the question of what it means to be "human", doesn't it?

It may be the nature of the *human* mind that, if it is openly and
emotionally engaged with the world, it is going to experience a certain
amount of negative emotions. I suspect this is the case. Zen masters who
have banished negative emotions from their mind are not a counterexample,
because they have in a sense stopped themselves from emotionally engaging in
the world (an interesting choice, but not necessarily the "right" one).

Whether this is intrinsic to the nature of *all* minds is another question.
I kinda doubt it.

But, if we engineered this property out of the human mind, would the result
still be "human"? That's a subjective question, but my tendency is to
answer "no"?

I happen to see a powerful aesthetic value in the peculiarities of human
psychology. I don't want to see all humans engineered into a state of
super-humanity (a kind of non-humanity). I'm happy that some humans, such
as my ex-wife, don't want to transcend ;-)

That's why, as discussed in some long-prior SL4 threads, I don't just want
to upload myself ---- I want a series of copies of future-Ben, one of them
staying human (though with minor fixes like removal of physical aches and
pains), one of them ascending to ultra-trans-humanity, etc. etc. etc.

-- Ben G