Re: Dispersing AIs throughout the universe

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 03:35:31 MST

Metaqualia wrote:

> Elizier:
>
> Does Tversky and Kahneman's "Judgment under uncertainty", cover most of
> the statistical mistakes you mentioned in your message and on the site?

_Judgment under uncertainty_ is about some specific, common types of
errors that people make when estimating chances and making decisions under
conditions of uncertainty. It does sort of assume a familiarity with
basic statistics, I think... unfortunately since I already know the
basics, I don't remember, from my reading, whether _JUU_ would have
stumped someone else.

If you're looking for something more basic than _JUU_ that goes slower and
introduces some of the same material, I'd recommend Robyn M. Dawes's
"Rational Choice in an Uncertain World". But I think anyone of a
technical bent should be able to handle _JUU_.