Re: Pattern recognition

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 15:25:30 MST

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 01:57:14PM -0800, Charles Hixson wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 01:49:32PM -0700, Mike Williams wrote:
> >
> >>I'm personally interested in the number of misunderstandings
> >>that occur due to language--the stock market dives if Greenspan
> >>uses the wrong adjective, world leaders have teams of people
> >>polish their speeches to check each nuance of meaning, etc.
> >>Does anyone know of any studies on designing a true "grammar"
> >>for humans, in the sense of a fully defined, unambiguous grammar
> >>such as those used for computer languages?
> >
> ><off-topic plug>
> >
> >http://www.lojban.org/
> >
> ></off-topic plug>
>
> Did that used to be called Loglan?

That's a bit of a loaded question[1], but the short answer is
"Lojban is a descendant of Loglan; the original Loglan still exists,
but is quite dead by comparison".

-Robin

[1]: The people who started Lojban actually went to court for the
right to call themselves Loglan if they wished; the fact that the
founder actually took them to court to protect his stranglehold on
the language is an example of why the split occured in the first
place.

--
Me: http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/  ***   I'm a *male* Robin.
"Constant neocortex override is the only thing that stops us all