RE: Dispersing AIs throughout the universe

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 06:40:37 MST

Eliezer,

This is a response to your comments on the accuracy of human inference.

First, about the accuracies of the probability judgments made by scientists.
I have read a lot of papers on this topic, mostly in the late 1990's, when I
briefly worked with a behavioral psychologist who was studying the uncanny
accuracy with which pigeons can carry out probabilistic inference, in some
contexts.

Clearly this is a subtle topic, and humans (or human groups) are much more
accurate in some contexts than in others.

The most disturbing thing that I recall from reading that literature was how
greatly human inference accuracy varies depending on the context. For
example, expert poker players are damn good at making intuitive probability
assessments in a poker context, but if you give them formally similar
problems in a domain other than poker, their ability to make probability
assessments doesn't carry over nearly as easily as one would like.

While humans are much better than current AI systems at generalizing
abilities from one context to another, we're not all THAT good at it. The
abilities we develop are, in many cases, peculiarly over-tied to the
specific domain in which they're developed.

This relates to the reason why I think playing with chimp-level AGI's will
be very useful in order to teach us how to think about, and theorize about,
and teach, human-level AGI's. Not only will we derive new scientific and
mathematical theories from playing with the chimp-level AGI's, we will also
build our own domain-specific inferential intuitions regarding AGI and
Friendly AI.

The results you cite about doctors are familiar to me, and did not surprise
me at all when I learned them. The cognitive processes going on in clinical
physicians are not so similar to those going on in research scientists or
engineers. The culture is also very, very different. Human inference
quality is highly context-dependent, and some contexts lend themselves more
to accurate inference than others. There are a lot of reasons why clinical
medicine would NOT be expected to correlate with high-quality inference.
These are related (though not identical) to the reasons why medical expert
systems have been systematically rejected throughout the medical
establishment, even though they demonstrably give better diagnostic accuracy
than human doctors. Clearly, this is not a community that values
inferential accuracy so much, as compared to other things!

-- Ben G