Re: Fw: Friendliness and blank-slate goal bootstrap

From: Yan King Yin (y.k.y@lycos.com)
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 21:26:07 MST

From: "Mark Waser" <mwaser@cox.net>

>> Ever since the emergence of life on earth (our understanding
>> of which is a bit murky) everything that went on in the
>> biosphere fits very well the description offered by
>> evolution. So how can we have an objective morality
>> unless it is self-same as evolution?
>
>I'll argue that diversity is an objective morality that has pretty closely
>correlated to evolution in the past (but is likely to change in the
>future - - which I regard as accurate and a "good" thing . . . . :-).

I do believe this discussion on objective morality can
be pushed further within the evolutionary framework,
but what we need is detailed analysis...

An objective fitness function can be defined (simply
such that it complies with whatever be the outcome of
real-world evolution (not a model of it!)) But such
a function would necessarily be intractable with an
*individual's* computing resource. (The part cannot
be bigger than the whole).

I'd like to hear your argument on diversity, it may
be correct in a coarse sense, though I strongly
oppose the use of "objective".

YKY