SL4 Chat: Wednesday, 4 February, 9 PM ET

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@mac.com)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 17:18:33 MST

SL4's monthly chat for February will be Wednesday, 4 February, at 9 PM
Eastern Time.

This may be the last regularly scheduled monthly chat. You can find
out more about it if you drop by the channel, but in essence the
monthly chats have ceased to be a productive use of our resources.
Although there was a temporary upswing of interest when I took over and
introduced suggested starter topics, the novelty wore off quickly. The
`problem' is that there are people on IRC every day chatting about SL4
topics. This is great, unless you want to hold a monthly chat where
most of the active participants would have been in the channel anyway.

This doesn't mean that the chats would end. Far from it. In place of
monthly chats there would be more sporadic and focused chats.
Currently I plan to host chats following major physical gatherings of
Singularitarians (Foresight gatherings, WTA gatherings, etc.) that will
give attendees a chance to share what they learned with those of us
hopelessly bound to our terminals. I'll also be organizing more
special guest chats, like the Nick Bostrom chat we had a few months
ago. If you know someone personally who would make a good chat guest,
let me know and maybe you can introduce me so that I can ask them to
come.

I look forward to improving the quality of scheduled chats and
unscheduled conversations. Drop by #sl4 any time; there are always
people there who will talk if you say something sufficiently
interesting.

And don't forget about tonight's chat!

To participate through a standard IRC client, connect to "sl4.org" on a
standard IRC port (for example, 6667) and join channel #sl4:
        irc://sl4.org/sl4

To participate through Java applet, point your browser at:
        http://sl4.org/chat/

To clear up any confusion about timezones, go to
        http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java
to see the current time in Atlanta, GA.

(I apologize if you receive this message multiple times. For some
reason messages I send to sl4@sl4.org are getting mysteriously lost in
transit.)

                Gordon Worley
             Phone: 352-875-5808