RE: Encouraging a Positive Transcension

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 13:15:19 MST

Hmmm... so you are positing the ethical principle that "ethical systems that
posit goals and lead to their successful achievement" are good, whereas
"ethical systems that posit goals and do not lead to their successful
achievement" are bad.

I sympathize with this feeling of yours, but I'm not sure I agree with it,
and I'm quite sure it doesn't have any absolute value.

For instance, in many cases I might prefer

-- a system that posits a grand goal but fails to achieve it, but achieves
other excellent things along the way

-- a system that posits a mediocre goal and achieves it successfully

In short, I don't consider self-contradictoriness or
partial-self-defeatingness to *necessarily* be a fatal flaw in an ethical
system. Although I agree that generally these things should be avoided.

-- Ben G