RE: Friendly AI in "Positive Transcension"

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Feb 15 2004 - 11:19:14 MST

Hi,

I've lost taste for lengthy point-by-point email arguments, but I'll respond
to a few of your major themes and points.

Before responding at all I'm going to make a request of you. Please
summarize,

FIRST, in a single, clear, not-too-long sentence

SECOND, in a single, clear, not-too-long paragraph

your own view of your theory of Friendly AI. I will then paraphrase your
own summaries, in my own words, in my revised essay. I have no desire to
misrepresent your ideas, of course.

I'm sure that I don't fully understand your ideas and intentions when you
wrote CFAI, nor your current intentions and ideas. However, I have read
them and talked to you about them more than once. The problem is not so
much that I'm not aware of the details, but that I think the details are
consistent with certain summaries that you think they're inconsistent with
;-)

The summary you gave in your response email was almost clear, but not
quite..

In line with your request, I will add a brief disclaimer to the essay noting
that you feel I didn't correctly interpret your ideas, and that the reader
should turn to your writings directly to form their own opinion.

Next, to clarify one small point, you say

> f) Friendly AI is frickin' complicated, so please stop summarizing it as
> "hardwiring benevolence to humans". I ain't bloody Asimov.

In fact what I said was "programming or otherwise inculcating" benevolence
to humans -- i.e. by saying "inculcating" I meant to encompass teaching not
just programming, or combinations of teaching and programming, etc.

So far as I can tell, the biggest difference you see between my rendition of
your views, and your actual views, is that instead of "programming or
otherwise inculcating benevolence to humans", you'd rather speak about
"programming or otherwise inculcating humane morality in an AI". And you
consider this an approximation for "an architecture that explicitly treats
itself as an approximation to the AI that would be constructed by a humane
morality." I can see the difference you're pointing out but I don't see it
as such a big difference -- I guess it all depends on how you ground the
term "benevolence." One could fairly interpret "benevolence to humans" as
"acting toward humans in accordance with humane morality." In that case,
what my formulation misses is mainly that you want an AI that acts toward
other things with humane morality as well, not just toward humans.

I still have the basic complaint that "humane morality" is a very narrow
thing to be projecting throughout the cosmos. It's also a rather funky and
uncomfortable abstraction, given the immense diversity of human ethical
systems throughout history and across the globe.

I do see your point that my more abstract concepts like growth, choice and
joy are grounded -- in my mind -- in a lot of human thoughts and feelings.
Very true, very deep. But that doesn't mean that I can't pick and choose
from among the vast contradictory morass of "humane morality," certain
aspects that I think are worthy of projecting across the cosmos, because
they have more fundamental importance than the other aspects, less
narrowness of meaning.

Now, on to a couple nitpicks (I could give many more, but lack the
time/motivation):

At one point in your message you seem to be accusing me of thinking the
creation of ethically-positive superhuman AI systems is an "easy" problem.
Of course, that is not the case. I explicitly state that I consider it a
very difficult problem that requires a huge amount of research -- and in
fact, I even wonder whether it will be necessary to create a
relatively-technologically-static global police state in order to allow this
research to go on systematically and in peace!

I guess you badly misunderstood some of the more philosophical points in my
essay. For instance, you respond to something or other I said by telling me
that "the universe is not on [my] side" -- but I certainly didn't mean to
say anything implying that the universe is "on my side" in any reasonable
sense...

-- Ben G