RE: Humane-ness

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 11:35:04 MST

following up...

So, in sum, the difficulties with Humane AI *as I understand it* are

1. The difficulty of defining humane-ness
2. The presence of delusions that I judge ethically undesirable, in the
near-consensus worldview of humanity

The second point here may seem bizarrely egomaniacal – who am I to judge the
vast mass of humanity as being ethically wrong on major points? And yet, it
has to be observed that the vast mass of humanity has shifted its ethical
beliefs many times over history. At many points in history, the vast mass
of humans believed slavery was ethical, for instance. Now, you could argue
that if they’d had enough information, and carried out enough discussion and
deliberation, they might have decided it was bad. Perhaps this is the case.
But to lead the human race through a process of discussion, deliberation and
discovery adequate to free it from its collective delusions – this is a very
large task. I see no evidence that any existing political institution is up
to this task. Perhaps an AGI could carry out this process – but then what
is the goal system of this AGI? Do we begin this goal system with the
current ethical systems of the human race – as Eliezer seems to suggest in
the quote I gave (“Human nature is not a bad place to start…”)? In that
case, does the AGI begin by believing in God and reincarnation, which are
beliefs of the vast majority of humans? Or does the AGI begin with some
other guiding principle, such as Voluntary Joyous Growth? My hypothesis is
that an AGI beginning with Voluntary Joyous Growth as a guiding principle is
more likely to help humanity along a path of increasing wisdom and
humane-ness than an AGI beginning with current human nature as a guiding
principle.

One can posit, as a goal, the creation of a Humane AI that embodies
humane-ness as discovered by humanity via interaction with an appropriately
guided AGI. However, I’m not sure what this adds, beyond what one gets from
creating an AGI that follows the principle of Voluntary Joyous Growth and
leaving it to interact with humanity. If the creation of the Humane AI is
going to make humans happier, and going to help humans to grow, and going to
be something that humans choose, then the Voluntary Joyous Growth based AGI
is going to choose it anyway. On the other hand, maybe after humans become
wiser, they’ll realize that the creation of an AGI embodying the average of
human wishes is not such a great goal anyway. As an alternative, perhaps a
host of different AGI’s will be created, embodying different aspects of
human nature and humane-ness, and allowed to evolve radically in different
directions.

-- Ben G