RE: Zen singularity

From: mike99 (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 18:28:27 MST

There is Zen, and then there is the popular (mis)conception of what Zen is.

I could say a lot about this, because I have taken the Buddhist precepts
(formal vows) and am studying Soto Zen Buddhism as a disciple
(priest-in-training). I might make some points about why Friendly AI and the
Singularity are worthwhile and not to be opposed but rather guided into
being. But I would rather simply quote Shunryu Suzuki Roshi (from the
collection of his sayings titled _To Shine One Corner of the World_).

[A Zen student wrote:]
One morning when we were all sitting zazen, Suzuki Roshi gave a brief
impromptu talk in which he said, "Each of you is perfect the way you
are...and you can use a little improvement."

Regards,

Michael LaTorra

mike99@lascruces.com
mlatorra@nmsu.edu

"For any man to abdicate an interest in science is to walk with open eyes
towards slavery."
-- Jacob Bronowski

Member:
Extropy Institute: www.extropy.org