RE: Zen singularity

From: mike99 (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 16:10:03 MST

Metaqualia wrote:

> There is absolutely no intersection between zen and the singularity. If
> anything they are opposite, since zen is an attempt at stopping
> the rational
> mind (which can be fun, and entertaining, and educational, and inspiring,
> but still delusional), and the singularity is about thought
> pumped up to the
> extreme.

Did I say there was an intersection between Zen and the Singularity?
Please re-read my message, because I did not. What I said was that they are
not in conflict.

> > impromptu talk in which he said, "Each of you is perfect the way you
> > are...and you can use a little improvement."
>
> You're not supposed to talk while you do zazen. :)

First, it is not clear whether the writer actually meant what he said about
Suzuki Roshi speaking during zazen or during the traditional teisho (Dharma
talk) that takes place after zazen.

Second, on at least one occasion in my experience my Roshi did speak
during zazen in order guide some new students in their practice.

Third, since when have Zen masters been limited by what one is "supposed to
do"? ;)

Now I hate to have to tell you this, but your claim that "zen is an
attempt at stopping the rational mind" is precisely the type of
misconception about Zen that I criticized in my first message. Buddhism is
supremely rational. Zen begins from that point and then includes a trans-
rational, experiential component in the form of "direct pointing at the
mind." But Zen is not an attempt to stop the rational mind, only to include
more within it.

Mike LaTorra