RE: Intelligence is exploitative (RE: Zen singularity)

From: Joseph W. Foley (fole0091@umn.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 12:04:54 MST

Mr. Sutton:

I think the problem, as I defined it, was ill-posed. I simply can't
understand *why* a truly intelligent being would act out of pure
altruism, or anything motive at all that isn't self-interest -
especially if the being had to struggle for existence. So I can't
honestly claim to know what kind of example I'm looking for, as I can't
imagine intelligent altruism.

A super-intelligent entity would have less trouble than most in
"surviving AND treading lightly in relation to other life" alone, as you
suggest, but not if it were competing with an equally intelligent entity
that didn't play by those rules.

Past patterns do need to be destiny. My argument was that the successful
existence of an entity requires it to be self-interested, and that this
follows (however indirectly) from whatever laws of the universe (think
physics) we hold immutable. It's silly to argue from this standpoint -
and perhaps from any other - if we can't assume past patterns to return
inevitably.

Joe Foley