RE: [SL4] AI --> Jobless Economy

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 07:10:36 MST

> Michael,
>
> I do understand, what Samantha is saying. Or what you
> are saying.
>
> I am perfectly aware of the problems with unemployment.
> My main point is not about that. It is about of "how
> come, it isn't much worse"?
>
> How it can be, that the population growth is much
> bigger than the employment raise, but unemployment
> still falling slightly?
>
> Either there is a lot of "desperate job seekers",
> either there is a growing population of those, who
> don't want a job, be cause they don't need it right now.
>
> An even slightly falling jobless rate, couldn't make an
> army of those, who gave up their hopes. I think, it's
> more the second case.

I have not studied the employment statistics in a while, but your hypothesis
radically contradicts my observations in the US, Australia, New Zealand and
Brazil (the only countries in which I've spent a substantial amount of
time).

The only places I saw phenomena at all like you describe were Australia &
NZ, where the "dole" gives everyone a minimal income even if they don't want
to work. A fair number of young people there seem to live off the dole for
a few years while figuring out what to do with their lives ... then
generally speaking they get a job like everyone else.

I feel strongly that there's something wrong with the statistics on which
you're basing your reasoning.

-- Ben G